we love granola and we love snacking; when done right, both can be very good for you! the important thing to look for in granola is a balance of healthy fats (nuts and coconut oil!) and a reasonable amount of sugar (agave if you wanna get low with your glycemic index).
what better way to make sure your granola has all your favorite ingredients than to make it yourself! this is a very DIY friendly recipe...adjust sweetness and nutty-ness to your own personal preference.Easy and Delicious Nutty Maply Granola (vegan and gluten free) : Prep It:
- preheat oven to 300 degrees
- 3 cups of gluten free oats (or regular oats if you don't have any sensitivities!)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups sliced or whole almonds
- 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup (grade B)
- 3 Tbs melted coconut oil
- 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds (rich in omega 3 and fiber!)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- dash of pumpkin pie spice
- 1-2 tsp instant coffee (not necessary but Kathryn likes to sneak coffee into every recipe)
- mix together all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- line baking sheet with foil or wax paper and evenly distribute granola
- bake for about 35 minutes, giving the granola a stir every 10 minutes
- let granola cool and use on top of yogurt, fruit, or it's perfectly delicious on its own!
if you buy walnut halves, you can "chop" them by pressing down with a spoon!
eat as-is or try it with some almond milk or coconut yogurt! yuuummmm