this salad is so good! Joey has a really delicious and quick/easy way of heating up tempeh that it makes it crispy and enhances the nutty flavor. serve it with a miso dressing and it's the ultimate refreshing and nutritious summer salad.
Mr. Kate's Tempeh and Lotus Root Salad with Miso Dressing (vegan)
Prep It (makes two large salads):
- 1 head of romain lettuce
- 1 package of tempeh - we usually use the one from Trader Joe's
- a sploosh of olive oil
- a sploosh of soy sauce
- 2 organic persian cucumbers
- a handful of pearl or cherry tomatoes
- about a cup of pickled or steamed lotus - it's sold at many Asian markets vacuum-packed in water.
- dressing: cup of mellow miso (try a white or yellow miso), cup of water, cup of light oil like canola, tablespoon of agave, 2 tablespoons of rice or white vinegar.
- slice your hunk of tempeh horizontally in about 1/4" wide slices
- coat a frying pan in a sploosh of olive oil - you're frying the tempeh so around 1 to 2 tablespoons. let your tempeh heat in the oil and start to crisp.
- sploosh around a tablespoon of soy sauce into the fry pan with the oil and tempeh and let that brown the tempeh into a nice golden color. remove from heat and let cool a little.
- prep your lettuce, slice your cucumber and quarter your lotus root and put them all together in salad bowls with some pearl tomatoes on top.
- mix your dressing: 1 cup of mellow miso dissolved by stirring with one cup of water, add 1 cup of canola oil, 1 tablespoon of agave and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar or white vinegar. mix and serve over your veggies and tempeh!