i've done posts before on how to spruce up an old or thrifted purse using old chain and a scarf, etc. and today's DIY is all about getting your paint on!
you don't have to be Van Gogh to get great results from this project, you can always use the masking tape technique to paint stripes of color or use a stencil or just paint the tips of tassels like i do in the video! the tree design is a really easy starting point if you want an intricate design.. you can sketch it first with pencil.
- an old purse that needs sprucing
- acrylic paint
- paint brush(s)
- acetone (nail polish remover with acetone)
- cotton balls
- bowl of water
- paint tray or aluminum foil instead
- optional: brooch, buckles, buttons and needle and thread to attach them
- prep the area you want to paint with some acetone on a cotton ball
- paint your design - you can also mix a little bit of acetone with your paint if you want to make sure the paint sticks well to the leather or faux leather. you may need to do two or even three coats of paint to get the desired look.
- let the paint dry - usually around 10 to 15 minutes
- optional: fasten a brooch or sew a buckle or button to spruce even more!