I've been really enjoying scrounging around my closet to find things to DIY. I cleaned out my closet to move into our new house (see our new video series) and I gave away a lot of stuff except the things I was still excited to wear OR excited to DIY-upcycle into something fresh and new (feeling). Case in point, these sneakers! These were from Forever 21 two years ago and I love the print, but I stopped wearing them because the laces were getting a little dingy. But with a little leather cording (found in the depths of my craft supplies) and a fabric marker, I'm re-energized to rock these sneaks.
My shoes came with this aztec print but you could easily recreate a geometric pattern like this using a black fabric marker on white shoes. See DIY Tribal Print Bracelet for more tips on geometric patterns.Prep It:
- fabric markers
- leather/faux leather cording
- Remove the existing laces
- Cut the cording the same length as your laces
- Lace the cord through your sneakers like you would any other laces - you could stop after this step if you like the look or...
- Analyze the design of your shoes and see if there are any areas you want to spruce up with some color then use a fabric marker to color in the areas, you may want two coats. I chose to color inside the printed areas but you could even use a black marker to recreate this print if you like it. See DIY Tribal Print Bracelet for more drawing tips. Let the marker dry, put on your shoes and dance!
- Mr. Kate jewelry: Charlotte rose ring, Feather cuff ring