these DIY upcycled t-shirt scarves are so so easy! Rachel and i had so much fun making them - seriously a great gift idea for this coming holiday season! using recycled leather and broken jewelry really makes them unique and elevates them beyond just cotton strands. make them and send me pics of your creations!
What You Need:
- t-shirt - the larger and wider the t-shirt, the longer and chunkier your scarf will be.
- decoration elements: leather, ribbon, broken jewelry, buttons, beads, etc. get creative!
- hot glue gun
- cut your t-shirt from armpit to armpit lengthwise and dispose of the top part of your t-shirt (the part with the sleeves).
- take your tube (the body part of the t-shirt) and cut the bottom hem off so you're left with a tube that has two un-hemmed edges.
- cut 3/4" to 1" wide strips from one looped end to the other, leaving around 1" uncut at the top - watch the video for this step to see the visual.
- once you have all your strips cut pull on each length to stretch them out and get them to curl.
- gather all of your strips together at the un-cut section so you have them all together in a loop - it should look like a looped scarf at this point.
- cover up your uncut section using whatever you want: a piece of leather, ribbon, another piece of t-shirt, etc.
- add some snazz to your leather or ribbon by hot-gluing on some jewelry, beads, chain, buttons, etc.
- optional step: cut three strips and braid them together and then tie them back into the scarf so you have one braided length