Ohhh Cindy Lou Who, where are you!? While Cindy was out, wandering the world, I helped create a winter holiday scene on her wall! Watch the video above to see the full DIY and meet Cindy.
This is a great DIY for a small space if you want to think vertically with your decor. I used chalkboard paint on a patch of wall but if you don't want to go as dark, you could use a lighter shade of chalkboard paint (it comes in a tint-able option) or use whiteboard paint and do the reverse with black and colored markers - see DIY Whiteboard Wall. If paint just isn't your thing, create a winter wall using tape and twine to make your shapes instead of drawing them or use the strand of lights to create the outline… so many options!
- chalk board paint (see alternate options in paragraph above)
- twinkle lights - I used white and red
- painters tape
- paint roller
- optional: to create a straight line for the painter's tape use string/twine, a weight and a pencil
- Optional: if you are painting only a patch of wall and need a straight tape line, use a piece of twine tied to a weight (I used a roll of tape) and let it dangle from the ceiling to the ground showing you a straight line. Line the line of the twine with a pencil and tape along the straight pencil line.
- Tape off the area you want to paint with painter's tape
- Paint your wall with chalkboard paint using your tray and paint roller
- Let dry for a few hours, then add another coat
- Let dry for 2 days before you draw with chalk!
- Draw your own christmas tree, fire place, menorah, or whatever festive things you want!
- Hammer in small nails where you want to hang the lights and stretch the lights across the tree like you would lacing shoe laces. I used a bundle of battery powered LED lights to create a burst on the top of the tree.
- Hang any practical items on your wall like glitter leaves, mistletoe, stockings, etc!