Easter is fast approaching, which means that Spring is right around the corner and I could not be more excited! Growing up, Easter was always a big deal in our family, especially in the food department. Every year we would enjoy a ridiculously large brunch buffet, stuffing ourselves until we felt sick (I would not recommend it), then spend the rest of the day playing and munching on chocolate bunnies.
One of my favorite things about any holiday is by far the dessert. Of course, the types of dessert I enjoy now are very different than the ones I ate as a child, however, they're quaylly as tasty! I think that it is very important to find healthier alternatives to beloved sweet treats that way you never feel deprived. These Easter Cupcakes are a perfect example of that.
These sweeties are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, 100% plant-based, and delicious!
Easter Coconut Cupcakes
(Makes 14 Cupcakes)
Cupcakes: 1 cup gluten-free all purpose baking flour 1 cup gluten-free oat flour 2 flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flaxseed + 5 Tbs water) 1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted 1 cup unsweetened applesauce 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk 1/2 cup unrefined coconut sugar 1/4 cup pure maple syrup + 1 Tbs 2 Tbs unsweetened shredded coconut 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/4 tsp sea salt
Frosting: 1 can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk 2 tsp pure maple syrup 1 tsp vanilla extract Plant-based food coloring + unsweetened shredded coconut to sprinkle on top (optional) *VERY IMPORTANT STEP: the can of coconut milk must be refrigerated overnight in order make frosting.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tray with paper liners.
- Prepare flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flaxseed + 5 Tbs water) by whisking ingredients together in a small bowl and placing aside to form a gel-like consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl add melted coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla. Mix together then add flax eggs and coconut sugar, and mix again until all ingredients are combined.
- Next, add all of the remaining dry ingredients by sifting the flours and mixing in the shredded coconut, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Once your batter is well mixed (using a fork or electric mixer) add the batter evenly to each cupcake holder, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are cooking, prepare your frosting by removing only the full-fat cream from the can of coconut milk and placing in a large bowl (store the remaining liquid in the fridge to add to a smoothie).
- Add maple syrup and vanilla to the bowl of coconut cream and beat with an electric mixer until whipped and creamy - about 1-2 minutes. Add food coloring if desired, and store in the fridge until ready to use on cupcakes.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, top with frosting and shredded coconut (optional).Store in the fridge until ready to enjoy!
I hope everyone has a very Happy Easter! Be sure to tag #nutritiouslynatalie on Instagram with your own Easter cupcakes. I would love to see what you come up with!