i made this vegan lasagna last night and it was delish! i made it with rice lasagna noodles and some collared greens for healthy vitamins and calcium - it's a complete meal! i even had a cold piece today for lunch and it was just as delish!
Mr. Kate's Vegan Lasagna (vegan and low gluten)
- 1 package of rice lasagna noodles - i got mine at Whole Foods - get the kind that you don't have to boil first!
- 1 package of Tofurky meatless 'ground beef style' - from Whole Foods
- Teese (vegan) cheese or Daiya cheese in Mozzarella - also from Whole Foods
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 2 carrots - grated
- 4 or 5 leaves of collard greens - thinly sliced
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- dried oregano
- celery seeds
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
- saute your chopped onion, collard greens and grated carrots in a sploosh of olive oil - add a little sea salt and pepper to taste.
- mix your Tofurky 'ground beef' crumbles in with your collard greens mix. add a light sprinkle of oregano and celery seeds (around a half a teaspoon of celery seeds and 1 teaspoon of oregano)
- use a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and pour a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom.
- lay down a layer of lasagna noodles and then a layer of your Tofurky and collard greens mixture, then a layer of thinly sliced Teese cheese on top, then another layer of sauce.
- repeat step 5 until you've reached the top of your pan or run out of stuff to layer. just make sure you end with a layer of Teese cheese and a drizzle of sauce on top. i also drizzled a little olive oil on top before putting it in the oven.
- bake for 45 minutes to an hour - depending on how many layers you have. towards the end of the cooking time, turn up your oven to broil on low for about 7 minutes to melt the cheese and brown the top (but watch that you don't burn because different oven temps may vary).
- let cool, cut and eat!