i threw together this plant-based mediterranean sampler plate for dinner last night from random things we had in the fridge. quick easy and delish!
takes all of 25 minutes and only two pans (frying pan for saute and pot for steaming)
1. wild rice, broccoli, sundried tomatoes, capers and garlic: i had the rice pre-made for the week, sauteed the broccoli in some olive oil, 1 clove of pressed garlic, oregano and rosemary and salt and pepper to taste then threw in the sundried tomatoes and capers and rice to blend it all together in the frying pan.
2. pan seared and sauteed oyster mushrooms: i got these fresh oyster mushrooms from the farmer's market and they were so good! buttery flavor with an almost meaty texture. saute and brown in olive oil, add 1 clove of pressed garlic at the end (as not to burn), salt and finish off with a dollop of earth balance or other vegan butter.
3. warm salad of russian kale, red kidney beans and tahini dressing: steam a bunch of rinsed kale and half a can of organic kidney beans together (lightly steam only one or two minutes) - then dress with tahini, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and salt.
4. fresh cucumber salad with a dollop of trader joe's eggplant and garlic dip: slice cucumbers, dress with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and add the eggplant dip on top.
5. hummus in center with olive oil and paprika garnish: i used the white bean hummus from trader joe's, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with paprika (a mild but lovely smelling spice that adds color on any plate!)
6. whole wheat tortillas in place of pita and some pepperoncini peppers on the side, add olives if you have them but i didn't!
all vegan - a complete, balanced meal