joey and i always love burrito or taco night. as joey says, "it always hits the spot." so hit your spot with this healthy and delicious recipe! i made this up so you too feel free to improvise where your taste-buds dictate!
PS - this is a great recipe for those of you that don't like the taste of tempeh because the flavor gets so disguised by other yumminess! trust.
DIY Mr. Kate Vegan Burrito Night!
What You Need:
- whole wheat, sprouted or gluten-free tortillas
- 1 package of tempeh
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 1 can of vegetarian/vegan refried beans
- 1 white or yellow onion chopped
- shredded romaine lettuce
- vegan cheese (optional)
- guacamole - i like the packaged one from Trader Joe's
- agave (optional)
- cooking oil
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- saute your chopped onion in a pan with a sploosh of oil. let them get translucent then add a little salt and a teaspoon(ish) of agave to caramelize the onions.
- add your crumbled tempeh - you may need to chop it, think taco meat sized pieces.
- add about 3/4 of your package of taco seasoning. you can use more or less, taste as you go! if you don't have taco seasoning use: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder and a little more salt.
- when your tempeh is nice and mixed with the onions and seasoning, add your can of refried beans and mix in. turn off the heat.
- spread your bean/tempeh/onion mixture on a tortilla and slice some cheese to lay on top - leave it open-faced.
- pop the tortilla in the oven for about 5 minutes to heat up the tortilla and melt the cheese a bit.
- take out of the oven and pile on your guacamole, lettuce and salsa. roll it up and stuff it in! yummmmm!