i want you all to meet our new Mr. Kate team member Kathryn Wahl who is one of the most delightful people i've ever met! Kathryn is the assistant blog editor fairy at Mr. Kate sprinkling photography, writing, and idea dust wherever needed. she grew her wings on the east coast and now lives with her fluffy moon child “Luna” in Los Angeles. acting, books, Laurel Canyon, and drinking yummy coffee are a few of her favorite things. careful because Kathryn’s humor is contagious and will cure you of all that ails you. see Kathryn on our Team page here and follow her on Instagram here!
Kathryn loves to bake vegan goodies and she recently made these holiday cookies. take it away fairy girl!...
i took a delicious recipe adapted from chef Chloe Coscarelli's book Chloe's Kitchen, and put a festive spin on it by using cookie cutters to make bite-size yummy gifts! these cookies are perfectly sweet and buttery, you'll want to try every shape! (that's a good excuse to keep eating them right?)Prep It:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan margarine (i used Earth Balance)
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder (i used Trader Joe's instant coffee)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- about ¼ cup granulated sugar for sprinkling
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- using a mixer (i only had a whisk on hand but it worked just fine!), beat vegan butter and espresso powder until well combined.
- add powdered sugar and brown sugar, and beat until combined.
- mix in the flour mixture a little at a time. if dough seems a little dry, add 1-2 tbs of water.
- stir in chocolate chips.
- prep cookie sheet with non-stick spray and roll dough into little patties, flatten down with hand, cookie cut away!
- bake about 8 to 12 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Let cool. (with the cookie cutters, this made about 55 little cookies)
- place cookies in decorative tins or baggies (bag on left from Michael's Craft Store and bag on right from CVS) to give to friends, neighbors, family, and of course some for yourself... espresso your love with these fun and festive homemade cookies!
sincerely with my mouth full,