i feel like i've been posting a lot of comfort food geared posts lately but that's just how the cookie crumbles!
this is a very user friendly, quick and easy meal using mostly pre-made things except the mushrooms and onions. i like to add a little personalization and snazziness to a basic dish.
Vegan Beer Brat with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms
- whole wheat hot dog buns
- Tofurky Beer Brats - i got them at Whole Foods but you could use any vegan hot dogs.
- 1 white or yellow onion - sliced
- 1 cup of crimini mushrooms - sliced
- olive oil
- teaspoon of maple syrup
- other toppings of your choice: spicy mustard, relish, ketchup, etc.
- side: sliced cucumber and ponzu sauce
- toast your bun in the oven or toaster oven
- saute your onions and mushrooms in a pan with olive oil on medium heat.
- when the mushrooms are translucent, add a dash of maple syrup and salt to caramelize them.
- heat up your brats in a pan with more olive oil - i usually slice them halfway down the middle to make to to heat the inside too.
- put the brats on your buns and smother with your mushrooms and onions and any other topping you like! i like serving it with a side of something fresh like the cucumbers with ponzu sauce that are in the photo.