You probably remember the DIY Upcycled T-shirt Scarf that is so fun and so easy to make out of an old t-shirt. For this holiday season I wanted to update it by making a DIY Candy Cane Scarf that you can go a step further and braid into a festive statement necklace or leave it in red and white t-shirt scarf form - like I did in the below video with Daily Candy.
Watch this video for the how-to steps to making the scarf and see below for more info on the braided option.Prep It:
- one red and one white t-shirt (100% cotton with no side seams) cut in strips and pulled into tubes (see video above or this post for that part of the DIY)
- a small strip of t-shirt fabric - you can cut it from the left-over sleeve - to attach your 3 braided loops
- Cut your red and white stretched out t-shirt segments into 3 separate segments for your braided sections
- Cut each pulled strip apart from your connecting (uncut) piece on one side (leaving the other side connected) so you have free ends to braid
- Combine one segment of red with one segment of white and braid. TIP: Anchor your two pieces on something sturdy like a doorknob or your toe to make it much easier to braid. I chose to do a fishtail braid to keep the white and red colors in segments.
- End each braid by wrapping one of the pieces around a couple times and looping it through to create a knot. Repeat steps 2 to 4 with all of your red and white segments.
- Make your braided pieces into loops by pulling the knotted end through a gap in the braids at the other end - if you braided your pieces nice and tight, this should be a secure connection. Make it even more secure with a little hot glue on the knotted end.
- Take your three braided and looped pieces and connect them together using your extra piece of t-shirt - wrap it around and knot it.
- Wear it or gift it!